What documentation is required for Flood Insurance

Flood Insurance is a rather unusual form of Insurance in that it is essentially created and backed by the federal government through FEMA, with the exception of Non Admitted Flood policies. FEMA stands for Federal Emergency Management Agency.   All Homeowners Insurance (that I know of at least) excludes the peril of flood from Homeowners Insurance.  Therefore it is sold as a stand alone policy, in a similar way that Earthquake Insurance is sold.  In many other ways though, Flood Insurance and Earthquake Insurance are very different.  If your home is in a high risk flood zone, your lender may require you to possess flood insurance.

documentation for flood insurance

Do you see the need for flood insurance?

Documentation for Flood Insurance:

The documentation that is required for flood insurance, greatly depends on each and every situation.   Generally speaking more documentation may be needed if you are in a SFHA otherwise known as a Special Flood Hazard Area.

Assuming you have a somewhat normal situation, you will most likely need the followingSigned Quote Form

Signed Application Document

Proof of previous flood insurance such as a declarations page or flood insurance bill if you have previously had flood insurance.  As a side note, I do suggest that you maintain a copy of all past flood insurance declarations sheets in the event that you need to prove that you have had constant coverage.

“Flood Insurance is not covered by home insurance.”

Either proof of primary residency or a proof of primary residency signed document.  Proof of primary residency (assuming you are claiming the property as your primary residency) may include the following: Drivers License, Auto Registration, Proof of Auto Insurance, Voter Registration, School Documentation for your Children, Homestead Tax Credit Information.   Sometimes you may also submit a signed form stating that the home is your primary home.  Of Course, this list is subject to change without notice.

You may need an elevation certificate in certain situations.  An elevation certificate according to FEMA is “is an administrative tool of the NFIP (National Flood Insurance Plan) which is to be used to provide elevation information necessary to ensure compliance with to community floodplain management ordinances, to determine the proper insurance premium rate, or support a request for a Letter of Map Amendment …”   This is required in certain situations to ascertain the “exact” height of your property.   Elevation certificates can be very expensive to procure.

In more complicated situations you made need any letters that you have received from FEMA about elevations, your property lot, and any official changes.  You  may have a (LOMA) Letter of Map Change.  You may need documentation concerning past claims.  You may need a full litany of things if your property has undergone communications with FEMA or a flood insurer.   In some of these situations, there is no complete list of documents that would be required.  It is essentially what the Flood Insurer requires.

Get a Flood Quote Today

If you have some common questions concerning documentation for flood insurance, consider reading: All About Flood Insurance in California. Have a more detailed question? Consider diving into the details with All About Flood Insurance in California.  Or simply give us a call.

Please read our disclaimer as reading insurance online is no replacement for speaking with a licensed broker or agent in your state.

About Marindependent Insurance Services LLC:

Marindependent is an independent insurance agency and brokerage based in Marin County California.  We sell with a client based focus.  Home – Auto – Umbrella – Term Life Insurance – Hard to Place Homes. California License 0K10734 – 415-294-5454.  Independence in Marin.